Search (Full Cataloging)
Fully described records have been created for about 20% of the sheet music
titles and can be searched by (1) any word or (2) by
Cheshire II is the search engine for the full records, a state-of-the-art
program that changes MARC records to SGML for processing and displays retrieval
in HTML. Users may combine several fields with boolean AND or OR. Search words
are repeated at the top of the display, together with the number of items
retrieved. Users may choose
to display a short or long display of records retrieved, and click on the box
to view images. The pages of a records are listed on the left frame by numbers
corresponding somewhat to pages of the sheet music; blank pages have not been
scanned. Wrappers are added as additional pages. Where copies have been found
to have variant title pages, advertisements, or wrappers, they have been
scanned and presented so that users have access to a variety of forms under
which an edition was printed (black/white or color title page, "Second
Edition",series title page).
- Name (composer, lyricist, arranger, printer, performer, group, artist, dedicatee)
- Engraved plate number
- Illustrated title page
- Subject of illustration
- Technique of illustration (for example, lithograph, woodcut, engraving)
Hints for searching Cheshire II records.
- To browse all illustrated title pages, search under any word for "ill.", the word in
the MARC record that indicates such information. To browse colored
illustrations, search for "col. ill."
- To browse the entire collection, search any word for "songs" or "piano," subject
categories that cover the entire collection.
- There is no truncation symbol. Cheshire II is designed to search full text,
using its own program to truncate words and retrieve
variants (dance, dancing, dancer).
Search 2 (Brief Records)
Access to brief unverified
records for the entire collection of sheet music, created by
scanning personnel as a working database, is provided
for the following fields:
- Title (any word in title)
- Presence of illustrated title page
- Presence of Advertisement
- Form (a few images are included of material ancillary to the sheet music)
Hints for searching brief records:
- The search engine automatically retrieves singular and plural forms of
words (flower, flowers).
- Names and titles have been entered in the database exactly as found on the
sheet music. Sometimes a first name is omitted, sometimes a translated title
is used. See Cheshire II records for verified information, and look at the
- The wild card is %.