Collaborative systems, social computing, location-based services
- Yiming Liu, Rui Yang and Erik Wilde, Open and Decentralized Access across Location-Based Services, 20th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2011), Hyderabad, India, March 2011.
- Yiming Liu and Erik Wilde, Personalized Location-Based Services, iConference 2011, Seattle, Washington, February 2011.
- Yiming Liu and Erik Wilde. "Scalable and Mashable Location-Oriented Web Services". 10th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2010) Vienna, Austria, July 2010
- David A. Shamma and Yiming Liu. Zync with me: synchronized sharing of video through instant messaging. Chapter in Social Interactive Television: Immersive Shared Experiences and Perspectives. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. Winter 2009.
- Erik Wilde, Yiming Liu. Lightweight Linked Data. The 2008 IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration.
- David A. Shamma, Marcello Bastea-Forte, Niels Joubert, Yiming Liu. Enhancing online personal connections through the synchronized sharing of online video. CHI 2008 Works in Progress.
- Yiming Liu, Ruchi Kumar, Kevin Lim. Taggers vs Linkers: Comparing Tags and Anchor Text of Web Pages. UCB iSchool Report 2008-20, ISD Symposium 2008
- Yiming Liu, David A. Shamma, Peter Shafton, Jeannie Yang. Zync: the Design of Synchronized Video Sharing. Conference on Designing for User Experience (DUX) 2007.
- David A. Shamma, Ryan Shaw, Peter Shafton, Yiming Liu. Watch what I watch: Using Community Activity To Understand Content. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Multimedia Information Retrieval (MIR): Special Session on Semantic Indexing of Consumer and Web Videos. ACM MM 07.
- Yiming Liu. IPR in Development. UCB iSchool Report 2007-11, ISD Symposium 2007
- Y Combinator funded company
- Platform for open and mashable location-based services
- Co-developed with Prof. Erik Wilde
- Startup music venture based on economic incentive engine
- Y Combinator funded company
- Winner of 2009 SXSW Accelerator in the Music category
- a community repository for common problems and solutions
- Buy Music, Make Money
- economic incentive model and prototype system for digital music distribution
- 2008 James R. Chen award for Outstanding Master's Project
- Zync (Yahoo! Research Berkeley)
- Yahoo! Messenger add-on to enable synchronized music and video sharing
- Built into Yahoo! Messenger 9 beta and above. Multiple peer-reviewed publications arising from data analysis.
- Perspectives (Yahoo! Research Berkeley)
- Citizen-journalism web services/application handled upload, processing, and aggregation of geo-tagged video from personal cellphones. Associated user-generated videos with news video from CNN based on location data.
- Voted as one of the top 10 hacks at Yahoo! Internal Hack Day (Summer 2007).
- We the News
- Blog sentiment analysis for current events.
- A browser plug-in for Safari to view Word documents
- A Python library for dynamic port forwarding / NAT traversal on NAT-PMP routers
Ark.com, a second Y Combinator startup. Designed and implemented backend platform and internal web services
Co-founder -- Popcuts.com, an incentive-based music store, a Y Combinator startup. Designed and implemented e-commerce and incentive system from ground up. Led engineering and responsible for technical decision-making (2008-2010)
Technical/researcher -- Yahoo! Research Berkeley. Researched and developed prototypes on the Media and Community team. (2006-2007)
TA -- for INFO 202 - Information Organization and Retrieval (Fall 2007)
- Slides for my mini-lecture on video information retrieval
For full history on the rest, see my curriculum vitae.
- Programming Languages (in descending order of proficiency):
- Python, C, Objective-C, Ruby (Ruby on Rails), PHP, C++, Perl, C#, Matlab, Java, IA32 assembly, Common Lisp, Scheme
- Other Languages:
- XML/XSLT/XPath/XQuery, XHTML
- MySQL, Oracle, Postgres/PostGIS
- Operating Systems:
- Mac OS X, Linux (Redhat/Fedora), Windows, Unix (Solaris)
- Paper: MailHistory - toward social translucence in email
- Mini-talk slides: MailHistory: email analytics for collaboration support (HTML)
- Paper: Taggers versus Linkers: comparing tags from del.icio.us with anchor texts from blogs (PDF)
- Mini-talk slides: Forthcoming (PPT)
- Project: We the News (HTML) - opinion-finding
- Paper: IPR in Development (UCB 2007-011) (offsite)