11/5/2008

A Great Night

Filed under: berkeley, politics — ryan @ 10:37 am

Flag on Telegraph Berkeley went nuts last night. Yesterday around 3PM I went to Triple Rock to start watching the returns roll in. At around 7 or so, once we realized that the geniuses at Triple Rock weren’t going to turn on the sound on their TVs, and not wanting to miss the speeches, we headed up to Haas to watch on the big screens there. On the way there we heard cheers erupt from all around the city–they had just announced Obama’s victory. We got to Haas just in time to see McCain’s concession speech and, of course, Obama’s long-awaited victory speech. Afterwards we went outside to see masses of students filling Bancroft, climbing up on traffic lights, waving flags, chanting U! S! A! (something I don’t think I’ve ever heard in Berkeley)… Every car driving down Shattuck was honking like crazy, fireworks, sparklers, and drums everywhere. A great night. I couldn’t be happier.

One Response to “A Great Night”

1. guido wrote:

Time’s square was pretty happy too. I watched the election at a friends place on 43rd and when it was called was there was a mighty roar from outside. Also some cars honked more so than usual.

Still I wish I wish I had been in SF where I was for 2004, when everything was spooky and quiet like it had just snowed.