Initial Project Funding (1997-1998, 1999-2000): California State Library, through the Library Services
and Technology Act (LSTC). In 1998 a grant from HUD's Joint Community Development
program allosed the incorporation of records from the Paramount Theatre Music Library. In
2007 Prof. Duggan's research funding from UC Berkeley allowed the incorporation of
records from the Scoeity of California Pioneers.
Project Creation and Maintenance
- Museum Informatics Project, Information Systems and Technology,
University of California, Berkeley. Maintains the images on a World
Wide Web server. As of September 2007, the images for 2250 of 2700
sheet music editions were available on the server. MIP stores archival tiff
images. MIP manages an SQL search engine (available on this web site as "Search
2" and available on MIP's web site)
that provides access to the original
database created as the scanning was done.
- Prof. Ray Larson, School of Information Management and Systems, University
of California, Berkeley. Creator and maintainer of the project search engine,
Cheshire II, and the catalog of MARC/SGML records. As of September, 2007,
all but 250 records had been cataloged in MARC and translated to
for searching on the web.
- RLIN, Research Libraries Group. In 1997 the international bibliographic
utility RLIN provided the software for inputting the MARC records and
included the project records, with links to images, in its RLIN database. In
2007 those records were migrated to OCLC and are now available on WorldCat.
Project cataloging now uses OCLC's software, Connexion.
- Prof. Emer. Mary Kay Duggan, School of Information,
University of California, Berkeley. Designer of project, and manager of content.
Libraries, Archives, and Museums participating in the project.
In a test database,
locations may be searched by name. All
images have filenames that begin with a four-letter code for the location at
which the image was scanned.
- California Historical Society
- California State Library
- New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Music Division
It proved unfeasible to move project staff and equipment to New York for the
limited number of unique items in the collection.
- Oakland Public Library. Oakland History Room. 125 - 14th St.,
Oakland, CA 94109 USA.
- San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum
- San Francisco Public Library (CSFx)
- University of California, Berkeley. The Bancroft Library. (CU-BANC)
- University of California, Berkeley. Music Library. (CU-MUS)
- University of California, Los Angeles. Music Library (UCLA)
- General M. G. Vallejo Home, Dept. of Parts & Recreation, Silverado;
20 East Spain St., Sonoma CA 95476-5778
- Paramount Theatre Music Library,
2025 Broadway St., Oakland, CA 94612.
- Society of California Pioneers, 300 4th St., San Francisco, CA 94107-1272.