Internet Governance and Network Neutrality
From Brian's Wiki
- Use this page to list sources related to ICANN or internet-wide governance issues, and sources related to network neutrality or network management practices.
News / Editorial
- BBC News, Google and Yahoo raise doubts over planned net filters, BBC News (Feb. 16, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Australian 'Net filter to block video games, too, Ars Technica (Jun. 25, 2009).
- Michael Geist, Canadian ISPs Fall Short on Net Neutrality Rules, thestar.com (Feb. 15, 2010).
- Matt Hartley, CRTC begins hearing from Internet providers, Financial Post (Jul. 10, 2009).
- CBC News, Competition could clear internet congestion: small ISPs, CBC News (Jul. 9, 2009).
- Matt Hartley, Filmmakers speak out against management of web traffic, Financial Post (Jul. 8, 2009).
- Emily Chung, New online services face threat from ISPs, CRTC told, CBC News (Jul. 7, 2009).
- Michael Geist, Neutrality hearings begin with conflicting claims, TheStar.com (Jul. 6, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Canadian Privacy Commissioner launches DPI website, Ars Technica (Apr. 7, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Canadians weigh in on network management: they don't like it, Ars Technica (Apr. 2, 2009).
- Michael Geist, Storm clouds ahead for wireless world, Toronto Star (Mar. 9, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Canadian ISPs stand up for content blocking, throttling, Ars Technica (Feb. 27, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, How Canadian ISPs throttle the Internet, Ars Technica (Jan. 21, 2009).
- Tom Krazit, China issues media rules for stories on Google, CNET News (Mar. 25, 2010).
- Alexa Olesen, Google's deals in doubt amid spat with Beijing, Associated Press (Mar. 25, 2010).
- Loretta Chao & Ben Worten, Google Is Poised to Close China Site, Wall Street Journal (Mar. 15, 2010).
- Reuters, China to punish hackers, says no Google complaint, Washington Post (Mar. 6, 2010).
- Reuters, Clinton to press China FM on Internet issue, Washington Post (Jan. 27, 2010).
- Sky Canaves, China Ratchets Up Web Privacy Fight, Wall Street Journal (Jan. 28, 2010).
- Reuters, U.S. has met with China on Internet freedom, Washington Post (Jan. 20, 2010).
- New York Times - Room for Debate, Can Google Beat China?, New York Times (Jan. 15, 2010).
- Neelie Kroes' Net neutrality in Europe Address at the ARCEP Conference EUROPA Press Releases (Apr. 13, 2010).
- Joan Engebretson, planning Net neutrality push, too, later this summer, Connected Planet Unfilered (Apr. 15, 2010).
- Nate Anderson, Dutch ISP builds dike around 'Net, throttles non-HTTP traffic, Ars Technica (Aug. 25, 2009).
- John Timmer, Fight over German filtering law sends MP into Pirate Party, Ars Technica (Jun. 22, 2009).
- John Timmer, EU admits ICANN setup has worked well, wants change anyway, Ars Technica (Jun. 19, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Major UK ISP: video streaming's "free ride" is over, Ars Technica (Jun. 12, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, EU: net neutrality just "arm wrestling" between companies, Ars Technica (Mar. 26, 2009).
- Philip Willan, Italy changes tack on internet regulation, Computer World (Feb. 9, 2010).
- Jesse Hamilton, AT&T Must Let Beastie Boy Vote on Net Neutrality, SEC Says, Bloomberg Businessweek (Feb. 16, 2012).
- Matt Hartley, FP Tech Desk: Google launches new government transparency tool, Ars Technica (Apr. 20, 2010).
- Nate Anderson, Just Like Comcast? RCN Accused of Throttling P2P, Ars Technica (Apr. 20, 2010).
- Nate Anderson, Making ISPs common carriers: just a simple "error correction", Ars Technica (Apr. 19, 2010).
- Joan Engebretson, Why Former FCC Chairman Powell Hates Reclassification, Connected Planet Unfiltered (Apr. 12, 2010).
- John Atchison, The Impact of the FCC Losing the Net Neutrality Battle with Comcast, Helium (Apr. 11, 2010).
- Rich Tehrani, FCC Ruling Could Inject Politics into News Delivery, TMCnet.com (Apr. 7, 2010).
- Matt Rourke, FCC can't enforce net neutrality: court, CBS News (Apr. 6, 2010).
- Edward Wyatt, Court Rules Against F.C.C. in ‘Net Neutrality’ Case, New York Times (Apr. 6, 2010).
- Brian Stetler, F.C.C. Says Adoption of New Broadband Plan Is Vital, New York Times (Mar. 16, 2010).
- Nate Anderson, EFF demands FCC close copyright "loophole" in net neutrality, Ars Technica, (Mar. 4, 2010).
- Marisa Lagos, Bill to ban social networking for sex offenders, SF Gate (Mar. 3, 2010).
- Declan McCullagh, White House outlines secret cybersecurity plan, The Domains (Mar. 2, 2010).
- MHB, Report Finds Against ICANN In Denying the .XXX Extension & Charges Them The $475K Cost, The Domains (Feb. 20, 2010).
- Declan McCullagh, Police want backdoor to Web users' private data, CNET News (Feb. 3, 2010).
- Chris Naoum, President Obama Reinforces His Belief in Net Neutrality, BroadbandBreakfast (Feb. 1, 2010).
- Larry Downes, Is Net Neutrality in Trouble?, CBS News (Jan. 8, 2010).
- Marguerite Reardon, FCC Chief Proposes New Net Neutrality Rules, CNET News (Sept. 21, 2009).
- Joelle Tessler, FCC votes to begin crafting 'net neutrality' rules, San Francisco Chronicle (Oct. 22, 2009).
- Editorial Board, The FCC's Heavy Hand, Washington Post (Sep. 28, 2009).
- Daniel Lovering, Official: FCC to propose 'Net neutrality' rules, USA Today (Sep. 20, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, FCC chairman talks tough on network neutrality, Ars Technica (Aug. 26, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, FCC enforcing imaginary laws in P2P ruling, says Comcast, Ars Technica (Aug. 17, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, "Net neutrality" gets white hot as FCC drafts broadband plan, Ars Technica (Jul. 23, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, Time Warner Cable tells FCC to shut up about net neutrality, Ars Technica (Apr. 15, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, Broadband stimulus and the FCC's Internet policy statement, Ars Technica (Apr. 13, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, Copps: FCC needs fifth net neutrality principle, Ars Technica (Apr. 6, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, FCC wants to know if Comcast is interfering with VoIP, Ars Technica (Jan. 19, 2009).
- William Maclean, Spies and Hackers Exploit World Cyber Rule Void, Reuters (Feb. 22, 2010).
- Larry Downes, New Year, New Push for Universal Broadband, CNET News (Jan. 21, 2010).
- Marguerite Reardon, AT&T Enlists Employees To Oppose Net Neutrality, CNET News (Oct. 20, 2009).
- Amy Schatz, Facebook and Twitter Founders Join Net-Neutrality Wars, Wall Street Journal (Oct. 18, 2009).
- Joelle Tessler, Republicans Opposing 'Net Neutrality' Rules, Silicon Valley (Oct. 5, 2009).
- Cecilia Kang, Wireless Lobbyists Step Up Defensive Against Net Neutrality, Washington Post (Sep. 28, 2009).
- Cecilia Kang, Update: AT&T Accuses Google of Violating Telecom Laws; Google Rejects Claims, Washington Post (Sep. 25, 2009).
- Marguerite Reardon, Net neutrality gets a boost from leading Democrat, CNET News (Sep. 17, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Comcast adopts DNS hijacking, imposes irritating opt-out, Ars Technica (Aug. 5, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, DPI vendor says 90% of ISP customers engage in traffic discrimination, Ars Technica (Aug. 3, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Network neutrality in Congress, round 3: Fight!, Ars Technica (Aug. 3, 2009).
- Richard Wray, Mobile phone users should share the pain of broadband tax, says BT, The Guardian (Jul. 10, 2009).
- Julian Beltrame, ISPs should prove need to control Web traffic, CRTC hears, The Globe and Mail (Jul. 6, 2009).
- Matt Hartley, Federal regulators ready to click on the Web, Financial Post (Jul. 5, 2009).
- John Timmer, Congressman has bill ready to give FTC veto on ISP data caps, Ars Technica (Jun. 17, 2009).
- Matthew Lasar, Cable group turns net neutrality around over ISP access fees, Ars Technica (Jun. 11, 2009).
- Chinese Search Engine Blacklist Disclosed, New Tang Dynasty Television (May 6, 2009).
- Wendy Davis, Profanity Ruling Could Boost Net Neutrality, MediaPost (Apr. 29, 2009).
- Mark Hefflinger, France Reintroduces Three-Strikes Bill; Britain Rules Out the Idea, digitalmediawire (Apr. 29, 2009).
- Nate Anderson , Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges, Ars Technica (Apr. 10, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Time Warner Cable: Please complain about our usage caps!, Ars Technica (Apr. 2, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Time Warner rationale for bandwidth caps doesn't add up, Ars Technica (Apr. 1, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, ZillionTV tempts net neutrality gods with prioritized video, Ars Technica (Mar. 8, 2009).
- Julian Sanchez, How do better metrics affect the case for neutrality?, Ars Technica (Jan. 28, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Google, others launch M-Lab to track network openness, Ars Technica (Jan. 28, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive" traffic, Ars Technica (Jan. 28, 2009).
- Nate Anderson, CCIA to Obama: Net neutrality to be an innovation engine, Ars Technica (Jan. 8, 2009).
Legal Briefs / Opinions / Statutes
- Comcast v. FCC, No. 08-1291 (Fed. Cir. 2010).
- Coalition for ICANN Transparency, Inc. v. VeriSign, Inc., 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 12514 (9th Cir. Jun. 5, 2009).
- In the Matters of Formal Complaint of Free Press and Public Knowledge Against Comcast Corp. for Secretly Degrading Peer-to-Peer Applications, Docket No. 07-52, FCC 08-0183 (rel. Aug. 20, 2008) (Memorandum Opinion and Order).
- Appropriate Framework for Broadband Access to the Internet over Wireline Facilities, CC Docket No. 02-33, Policy Statement, FCC 05-151 (rel. Sept. 23, 2005) (Internet Policy Statement).
- In the Matter of Use of the Carterfone Device in Message Toll Tel. Serv., 13 F.C.C.2d 420 (1968).
- Hush-A-Phone Corp. v. U.S., 238 F.2d 266 (D.C. Cir. 1956).
- Susan P. Crawford, Transporting Communications, Boston U. L. Rev. (forthcoming).
- Derek Slater and Tim Wu, Homes with Tails: What if You Could Own Your Internet Connection?, New America Foundation Wireless Future Program Working Paper #23 (Nov. 2008).
- Jack M. Balkin, The Future of Free Expression in a Digital Age, 36 Pepperdine L. Rev. (2008).
- Susan P. Crawford, The Internet and the Project of Communications Law, 55 UCLA L. Rev. 359 (2007).
- Susan P. Crawford, Network Rules, 70 Law & Contemp. Prob. 51 (2007).
- Howard A. Shelanski, Network Neutrality: Regulating with More Questions Than Answers, 6 J. on Telecomm. & High Tech. L. 23 (2007).
- Barbara Van Schewick, Towards an Economic Framework for Network Neutrality Regulation, 5 J. on Telecom. & High Tech. L. 329 (2007).
- Christopher S. Yoo, Beyond Network Neutrality, 19 Harvard J. of L. & Tech. 1 (2005).
- David S. Isenberg, The Rise of The Stupid Network, Computer Telephony 16-26 (August 1997).